- Remove buckthorn from the project site before spring 2020.
- Restrict herbicide use on the project site after spring 2020 (herbicide may be used during buckthorn removal efforts prior to spring 2020).
- Review online training resources in early spring 2020.
- Set up the project site and experimental plots using materials and seed mix provided the University of Minnesota.
- Plant buckthorn test seeds provided by the project and track their germination and growth.
- Observe plots and cut buckthorn each year in June–August.
- Collect photos of the plots and tree canopies using cell phones in August or September.
- Report findings through an online system annually prior to October 31st.
- Participate in the project through summer 2022.
- Remove all test buckthorn seeds at the end of the project.
After the initial removal, participants in the project should expect to commit about 4-6 hours per year to observing, cutting buckthorn, and reporting their findings. In spring 2020, participants should expect an additional 3-4 hours for training and project set-up. Time estimates may vary by site.