April or May: Site upkeep
When you can, check on your site. Bring a permanent marker and something for taking notes. Please take these steps:
1) Look over the site. Do you notice any issues? Please contact Cover It Up staff with questions or concerns. We're here to help!
2) Re-label flags that have faded using a permanent marker.
3) Check that flags are securely in place and none are missing.
If you're missing flags or other supplies, please contact Abbie (firstname.lastname@example.org). There are no photos or measurements that need to be taken this spring.
June - August: Cut non-test buckthorn
Keep the experiment running by cutting non-test buckthorn every 4-6 weeks.
A paper handout is being mailed to you. The handout (available as a PDF, here) contains detailed instructions, as well as a log for tracking your activities. We will ask you to transcribe your log records later into online survey.
Want more information or guidance? Sign up for a Zoom "Clinic on cutting"
August: Summer's End Activities
Before leaves turn color, repeat the data collection activities.
- Timing varies by location - aim for August or by Labor Day at the latest.
- To support your process, Tutorials and Zoom Clinics are available.
- A 2021 Field Packet will be shipped before the end of July. PDF versions below:
- When done with your Summer's End Activities, relay your observations (use this survey) and photos to the research team. Please complete this by September 17.
Events via Zoom
Clinics on cutting non-test buckthorn
Looking for guidance on "cutting non-test buckthorn" at your Cover It Up experimental site? Staff will explain steps, tools, and how to track your efforts using a paper log. Questions are welcome! All events are equivalent and you may attend as often as you like.
Mondays at 12 noon, May 24-July 12, 2021
(No events on Memorial Day, May 31 or July 5)
Clinics on Summer's End Activities
Looking for guidance on "Summer's End Activities" at your Cover It Up site? Meet with staff to go over timing, steps, tools, and the paper Field Packet. Questions are welcome! All events are equivalent. Attend as often as you like.
Mondays at 12 noon, July 19-September 20, 2021
(No event on Labor Day, September 6)
Citizen Scientists, you're invited. Monthly social gatherings (via Zoom) are your chance to visit with others who share your passion for using plants to control buckthorn. Socials interactive and fun, rather than instructional. Attendance is optional.
Fourth Wednesday of every month at 7 pm